Air Conditioner Parts Definitions
At Martino, our professionals sometimes get questions from customers about certain parts of their air conditioner. We also get questions about certain techniques we use while repairing a unit. To get the most out of your system and the professional work that is done to it, it’s best to understand the actual unit itself and the air conditioner parts.
We’ve decided to outline some of the main parts of the air conditioner, so you can understand their functions and how your unit works as a whole:
- Air Handler or Furnace: The air handler is a very important part of your air conditioner. Its job is to circulate cool air through your home properly and efficiently.
- Blower Motor: Your air conditioner uses the blower motor from the air handler or furnace to feed the cold and warm air to all of the rooms in your house.
- Compressor: The compressor is important because it circulates the refrigerant in the unit. It also concentrates the heat that it contains and uses it in the winter.
- Condensation Drain Pipe: This drainpipe plays an important role for your air conditioner because it removes the condensation that your air conditioner creates on the evaporator coil.
- Condenser Coil: The condenser coil’s job is to release the heat that it absorbs by the refrigerant and the evaporator coil inside the home so its ready to release cold air in the next cooling cycle.
- Ductless Unit: A ductless air conditioner is a popular unit that works by transferring the heat from the indoor air to the outside and transferring the cold from the outdoor air to the inside, without using ducts.
- Evaporator Coil: The evaporator coil does its job by transferring air or heat to keep your home comfortable all year long. Inside the coil, refrigerant from the system evaporates as it absorbs heat from the indoor air that passes over it.
- Expansion Valve: This valve controls refrigerant flow.
- Filter: The filter reduces the dirt, allergens and debris from the air entering your home.
- Supply Air Duct: This is how air travels through your home easily and efficiently.
You may not understand some terms here, and that’s okay! If there are any air conditioner parts on here that you want to know more about, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a Martino professional today.